Saturday, February 18, 2012

Seventh at Fourth

It's not like I haven't been doing anything. I'm just slow this week. The above is an 11x14 oil.

I started to read The Unknown Matisse by Hilary Spurling. I am not far into it yet, but two things strike me: Matisse came from an very provincial background for someone who ended up as a great Modernist, and by the time he found some recognition, he was already in his late forties. But that's good. Great artists have to come from somewhere, and it may take time. Actually it always takes time.

2 comments:

SamArtDog said...

Time? Art is all about time.
Glad you took your time with this one. My favorite complements, too.
On to Matisse, eh? Please be generous with the commentary; I'm fascinated by both Matisse and your opinion. How's that for flattery?...

Bob Lafond said...

Sam, Thanks. Matisse. He's my great grandfather by adoption. I adopted him.