Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Luce Road Bend and Sojourners with Gifts


The first painting is from the colonnade. The top pastel is the bend in the road that leads up to the farm and the mountain, the entry point to a remarkable place.

I want to give Fowles a rest. I recently read another interesting book however, The Gift: Creativity and the Artist in the Modern World by Lewis Hyde. Here's a quote that grabbed me:

"We are sojourners with our gifts, not their owners; even our creations--especially our creations--do not belong to us. As Gary Snyder says, "You get a good poem and you don't know where it came from. 'Did I say that?' And so all you feel is: you feel humility and you feel gratitude. Spiritually, you can't be much poorer than gifted."

Also from the Hyde book, I learned that Ezra Pound wrote a short poem titled "The Tree". Its first line is, "I stood still and was a tree amid the wood".

2 comments:

Randall David Tipton said...

That book, the Gift, has been very important to me. It has helped me understand the issues of being an artist. The subtitle was originally 'Imagination and the Erotic Life of Property'. I like it better, makes you think.

Bob Lafond said...

Randall, Even the more recent subtitle makes you think. I devoured this book in a couple days. Thank you for your comment.