Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Seashore


I have always been attracted to the seashore. Who isn't? Yesterday I came across these words from Isaac Newton: "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me."

Check out the beach paintings of John Evans at painting perceptions. The painting perceptions site is rich with painters and paintings. That's where I first found Neil Riley.

The drawing has the same proportions as the pastel, but it's approximately 5x8, while the pastel is 8x10.

3 comments:

loriann signori said...

The act of dong a monochromatic study has really made changes to your art...a kind of rich maturity. It show how you work to make your own abstract painting that sees movement and shape before things. Bravo Bob! Good link too!

Kelly M. said...

Thank you for the referral -- wonderful article on Evans! I'm hoping to get down to the shore sometime soon myself -- :-) -- a long time coming!

Bob Lafond said...

Loriann, You are absolutely right, and I thank you for bringing it up a while back.

Kelly, Go to the shore now and avoid the crowds.