Thursday, April 18, 2013

Threefer







9x12 oil of Washington Avenue in Brooklyn, a 9x12 drawing of Lambertville, NJ, and an 8x10 pastel of the swamp at Field Farm.  I move quickly.

I have been re-reading the essays of Christian Wiman in Ambition and Survival: Becoming a Poet.  I think there are a lot of parallels between poets and painters.  He writes,  "I once heard a painter say that he wanted in his paintings a feeling for nature but without the nature.  What he meant by that, I think, was that he wanted the natural world but colored with his own consciousness, wanted his art to be at once of the world and his own mind, but not merely a mirrored image of either one.  It's the difference between illustration and the creation of original forms. between representing or refining reality and enlarging it.  It's the difference between sight and vision."

No comments: