Sunday, April 7, 2019

The Stimulating Backyard



This drawing is an experiment.  When I made it this morning sitting on a deck looking at a typical backyard in a suburban neighborhood in Framingham, MA, I liked what I saw, the white house, garage, and shed, bright in the sunlight, trees, gray, in early April without leaves, a large pine, a dark screen of black branches, etc.  It might look better in color, but all I had was a pencil and a sketchbook.  The experiment is testing my view that art is where you find it, and make it, in response to what you see, especially to the mundane.  I do love visiting exotic places (like Nice) but most of us don't live there, and Nice is probably not exotic to most people who have lived there all their lives.  I think an ordinary backyard can be visually exciting, whether in Nice or Framingham.  Maybe I haven't convinced you with this drawing.  But it's something I think about all the time.

No comments: