Sunday, February 17, 2019

Brooklyn Street


A large number of my paintings are Brooklyn, NY street scenes, so when I learned that there's a Brooklyn Street in North Adams, MA, I headed over there.  It's another street on a hill with a mountain view, paralleling Houghton Street.  Walking down Brooklyn Street, I heard a loud rush of water from a sewer grate.  At the bottom of the street, I saw a large culvert from which issued a steady stream.  Wheeler Brook as it turns out, runs under the street, and then eventually into the Hoosic River through an underground channel.  Streets are often named for natural phenomenon, so I wonder if Brooklyn Street, which dates back to the 19th century, was once known as Brook Lane.  This painting shows the street from near the middle towards the bottom.  18x24 oil on panel.

No comments: