Sunday, November 12, 2017

Same Spot in Aix



The top painting I did while in Aix in September.  It represents the Jas de Bouffan, the mansion acquired by Paul Cezanne's father in 1859.  It's a 9x12 oil on multimedia board.

The other painting was done by Cezanne in 1887-90.  What is interesting about the Cezanne painting (besides being a great painting) is that it is the only painting considered to be of the front or north side of the Jas de Bouffan.  All of the other fifty or so oils and watercolors of the Jas de Bouffan Cezanne did at the back of the building.  I'm not convinced that the Cezanne painting represents the front of the building.  The balcony and main ground floor entrance are not visible though Cezanne always took liberties.  But I like the idea that I could have been standing in the same spot as Cezanne when I did my painting.

2 comments:

Donna T said...

Looks like you had a great time in Aix! This collection of paintings is really wonderful, Bob, and it's so cool that you got to paint Cezanne's views!

Bob Lafond said...

Donna, Thank you so much. It was daunting and exhilarating to be in Aix following Cezanne.

Bob