Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Canal Drawing for Sam


I am trying something different.  I like drawing with a stick of vine charcoal in my sketchbook when I am out walking.  I can rub the charcoal with my fingers if I want to make changes.   The only problem is preserving the drawing until I get home.  This morning I used a piece of glassine to cover the drawing (above), plus a clamp to hold the pages still.  I will have to carry fixative, especially if I want to make several drawings.  Yeah, there is the problem of dirty fingers, but as long as I am near water, I can wash them.

Still reading Thoreau's Walden as part of my daily ritual:

"If the day and the night are such that you greet them with joy, and life emits a fragrance like flowers and sweet-scented herbs, is more elastic, more starry, more immortal, --that is your success.  All nature is your congratulations, and you have cause momentarily to bless yourself.  The greatest gains and values are farthest from being appreciated.  We easily come to doubt if they exist.  We soon forget them.  They are the highest reality.  Perhaps the facts most astounding and most real are never communicated by man to man.  The true harvest of my daily life is somewhat intangible and indescribable as the tints of morning or evening.  It is a little star-dust caught, a segment of the rainbow which I have clutched."

No comments: