Thursday, April 14, 2011

Limbs

At some point, it will make sense as to why I am doing these studies. At least I hope so. Maybe it will become a dead end. This one was done differently than the previous two, starting with pastel, adding washes, and then finally pastel again. Degas used water with pastels, but I am not sure if anyone knows exactly how he did so. Also with the tree limbs on the ground, the negative and positive spaces interact in interesting ways. That might be another way of saying that they can get confusing.

2 comments:

SamArtDog said...

Dry over wet over dry makes for lots of depth, but how do you do that without making mud?

Bob Lafond said...

Sam, It wasn't easy. I did a lot of lifting with a wet brush, and only applied pastel lightly. There are a number of Degas pastels that I have seen where it's obvious he was working wet into dry or dry into wet.